Guidelines in Sizing
(with understanding that each woman may have individual preferences)
- Mini(9 cm – 3 1/2 in.) – recommended most often as additional inner layer for very heavy leaking – if opting for this alone, we recommend size XS.
- X-Small(12 cm – 5 in.)- A or B cup – most comparable in size to disposables, just a tad larger.
- Small(15 cm – 6 in.) – B-DD cup – most commonly recommended size – will give full coverage, yet fit inside most bras.
- Medium(18 cm – 7 in.) – F or larger
- Large(22 cm – 9 in.) and…
- Oval(18 x 27 cm – 7 x 11 in.) – for women who want even more coverage (these are much larger than most women expect, so please check measurements before ordering!)
Many women who choose size Large opt for the Oval shaped pads, which follow the shape of your breast and bra more closely. Choice depends upon where you want more coverage.
Oval – intended for women with repetitive plugged ducts in area of armpit.
To be certain the size you order is what you’d like, please note the measurements of each pad size and gauge against your breast/bra. Certain bra styles may work best with the smaller sizes.
LANACare Nursing Pads Are Superior to Cotton or Disposable Pads
- Most women need only 2 – 3 pairs and 1 bottle of Lanolin Soap for the entire nursing period. Economical, in the long run, compared with the repetitive cost of disposables. And environmentally friendly!
- Wool wicks moisture away from your skin, keeping you dry and comfortable, even in warm climates. When the pads do feel wet, they’re warm, not cold and clammy as with cotton or disposable pads.
- Your skin is kept dry and able to breathe, helping relieve soreness. Since LANACare pads contain lanolin, use of lanolin ointment is a perfect combination of treatment for sores associated with breastfeeding. Many women have claimed that once they began using these pads, their soreness began to improve and breastfeeding “turned around” for them.
- Scandinavian midwives have, for centuries, advised mothers to keep their breasts warm to prevent plugged ducts and mastitis. Larger sizes give protective coverage over greater a portion of the breast.
- With larger sizes, the edge of the pad falls further back on your breast, making pads LESS noticeable through clothing.
- Great, non-medicinal remedy for Raynaud’s/vasospasms! The gentle warmth of the wool keeps blood vessels dilated, preventing the pain and discomfort caused by vasospasms.
- Natural fibers of wool allow skin to breathe, maintaining a comfortable temperature even in warm climates. Moderates temperature, for comfort even when moving between hot outdoor climates and cold air-conditioned inner climates.
- Variety of sizes and styles to suit each woman’s needs!
- Women LOVE these nursing pads – how often do you hear that about a nursing pad??
Quotes from Women on Lanacare Wool Nursing Pads
“I have to tell you how amazing your wool nursing pads have been for me. Having had breast reduction surgery when I was younger, I knew I was in for a ride when my first daughter was born 2.5 years ago, but I didn’t know that part of my journey would be horribly traumatized nipples that refused to heal for 14 weeks. What changed at week 14? I got a pair of LANACare nursing pads! I had tried everything and consulted just about every expert, and nothing helped. The woolen pads turned things around in two weeks flat. A miracle! My daughter and I are still happily nursing.” – Meg, Massachusetts
“I love your pads! They are the most wonderful nursing pads that I’ve ever tried, both disposable and cotton. This is my third child and oh how I wish I knew about your products with my first two. My nipples are soft and never red, dry, or raw…and my daughter is a good sucker from the very first feeding. I dreaded having to nurse my other two. Now, it’s such a joy knowing that my daughter is fed breastmilk and my breasts are not in pain! I would definitely recommend your pads to all my pregnant and nursing friends!” – Jocelyn, Hawaii
“Even during our hot, 100-degree summer, my pads kept me dry and comfortable!” – Amy, Nebraska
“LANA nursing pads must have been sent by GOD! They are amazing! They were soothing to me and I was able to heal sore nipples within a week or so. Shortly after I healed, I was more relaxed during nursing and I started to produce more milk. I was happy, my baby was happy, our whole family was happy!” – Felicia, Oregon
“I think these nursing pads are the greatest. Frankly, they rate up there at the very, very top of my favorite baby/nursing items purchased. Thank you for introducing them to the U.S.!!!” – Marcie, Florida
“I gave birth to my third child a little over three weeks ago, and have been dealing with *extremely* sore nipples. Nothing seemed to improve the pain I was experiencing (which was not a result of latch-on … I’ve seen two L.C.s in the past couple of weeks). Amazingly, within one day of wearing your wonderful nursing pads, the soreness has gone away! The pads are incredibly soft, warm, comfortable and absorbent. Thank you, thank you, thank you for offering such a wonderful product to nursing mothers!” – Jane, Illinois
Personal testimonial of Danish Woolen Delight’s owner … “As a midwife & lactation consultant – owning my own business was that last thing I thought I’d pursue … but LANACare Nursing Pads changed that for me.”
I discovered LANACare products as a new mom and midwife living and working in Sweden in the early 90’s. At that time, the nursing pads were the only item made by LANACare . They were “delightful”! Superior in every way to any other nursing pad I’d seen. I recommended them warmly to the mothers I worked with in Sweden. When I moved back to the U.S. with my family, I decided they were something I must bring with me! The nursing pads, as all LANACare products, are made of KbT-certified organic merino wool, which still contains its natural lanolin. Untreated wool can absorb up to 40% of its own weight without feeling wet. When the pads do start to feel wet, the feeling is that of warmth, not cold and clammy, as with other pads. As the wool absorbs moisture, lanolin is activated to remove bacteria and odors. It keeps the wool clean, fresh and hygienic.
For most women, two pairs (or three) are all you’ll ever need. When one pair feels wet, let it dry while wearing the other pair. The lanolin is activated and cleans the wool as it dries. The moisture evaporates away and only the milk solids are left. Eventually, depending upon how much you leak, you’ll feel the center of the pad get “stiff” or you’ll notice white powdery milk spots. First then, will you need to wash them. Wash by hand in lukewarm water with a lanolin-containing wool-wash, as LANACare Lanolin-Replenishing Soap. See Nursing Pads Care Instructions.
The larger size of the pads stems from advice Scandinavian midwives and nurses have long given to mothers – “keep your breasts warm to prevent plugged ducts”. My feeling is that the mild warmth keeps blood vessels dilated and “everything flowing”. Although there is no documentation that I’m aware of, I know of cases where this seems to hold true. I knew of one woman who claimed that she couldn’t go out to her mailbox without wearing her (medium sized) pads or she developed plugged ducts! As a lactation consultant, I’m aware of the many “concrete” causes for this problem, but I feel that if a woman is doing everything right, and still has a tendency to develop plugged ducts, that these pads may help. In either case, they feel extremely soothing and comfortable against tender breasts. In addition, the natural wool fibers pull moisture away from skin, keeping it dry and able to breathe, allowing sore nipples to heal. Many women in Europe, begin wearing the pads during pregnancy, claiming that breastfeeding, as a consequence, has gone more smoothly.
Even people who believe that they are allergic to wool can often wear LANACare wool pads directly against their skin – many actually react to the chemicals used to extract the lanolin from the wool – chemicals which are not used on LANACare wool.
With the growing use of antibiotics during labor, yeast infections are becoming more rampant. Yeast infections of the breast can be painful and difficult to treat. Oftentimes, boiling anything that is worn close to your breast is necessary. LANACare woolen nursing pads can be boiled, by a special method. See Nursing Pads Care Instructions.
LANACare nursing pads are the ideal solution for the comfort of vaso-spasms. The nipples and perhaps areola turn white, as tiny blood vessels react to cold with spasms. It can be extremely painful and frustrating. LANACare nursing pads keep breasts comfortably warm, dilating blood vessels.
From my own personal experience of breastfeeding two children, and from the growing number of women who’ve used LANACare woolen nursing pads, I hear countless quotes of praise for the pads. I’m thrilled to be able to offer American moms the same quality products that I used as a new mom in Sweden – and especially to hear the feedback from American women who have found them so helpful and soothing!
Janice Emanuelsson, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Swedish Certified Nurse-Midwife
Co-Owner of Danish Woolen Delight